Saturday, April 10, 2010

TWO MORE DAYS

Two more days until I can go back home...well at least the place feels like home during the baseball season.

I am really excited to see friends and fellow fans at Petco Park Monday as we have our home opener against the Atlanta Braves.

What I am not too thrilled about is the state of play I have seen thus far. Yes I know the season has barely started but there are some fundamental playing mistakes that bother me.

On the top of the list is the head first slide.

I cannot understand why players do that- ok it is easy to sit here and second guess but seems like spikes up when sliding is always more effective. Then the defense has to worry about getting a spike in the face while trying to make the play.

The elimination of Chris Young from the Atlanta series worries me as well. The pitching has been ok- although I think the middle relief needs some work. But once again this year, small ball seems to elude the Padres players.

Seems like every time we get a base runner he is either left there or thrown out.

Bases loaded in the top of the 8th today and again they were not able to capitalize on that- that has been the problem with this team the last few years. Plenty of scoring opportunities but when it counts they somehow can't manage to get it done.

In the top of the 10th there were some timely hits that got Kyle Blanks to third base...then a pitching change...and just like in the 8th Venable was unable to move the runners.

Same scenario in the 12th- bases loaded again and no deal- a fly out that ended the inning.

Sometimes I think these guys try to hard, in these situations, to hit it out of the park rather than trying to hit a bloop single that would have put the team ahead by a run. That's 9 men left on base since the 8th inning as of the 12th inning.

Finally in the 14th Adrian Gonzales doubled home the go ahead run making the score 5-4. And that means it's Heath Bell time.

And of course after a double play with two outs there would be a bloop single stretched into a double...tying run on second base. An intentional walk, which was a good move in my opinion by Buddy Black, and then Bell - who I think purposely creates drama strikes out the side...and finally...

The Padres win 5-4 and Heath Bell gets the second save in two tries.

On a positive note the bullpen was awesomely good tonight.

So we will see what happens- maybe when they come home, in front of the hometown fans they will start playing like a major league team ....so far I have seen AAA at best and that just will not do because I believe we have the talent on the team...they just need to tighten up and play like a team.

RIGHT CLICK HERE FOR TODAY'S GAME RECAP

No comments:

Post a Comment